Guanidinium derivatives as antidepressants
Lead PI:Dr Isabel Rozas
Abstract:We aim to computationally design, synthesise and pharmacologically test a number of guanidinium derivatives as alpha2-adrenoceptor antagonists with antidepressant application.Based on two recently discovered alpha2-AR antagonists, found in Rozas’ group, showing antidepressant activity, it is proposed to undertake a ligand based drug design strategy to identify pharmacophoric elements for antagonistic activity. In particular, the guanidinium cation is a very aprticular one that can establish not only ionic and hydrogen bond interactions but also cation-pi interactions with aromatic systems. All this type of interactions will eb also research.
More like this
- Cation-pi interactions: complexes of Guanidinium and simple aromatic systems
- Structure Activity Relationships in alpha 2 aadrenoceptor antagonists
- Aromatic Amino Acids-Guanidinium Complexes through Cation- Interactions.
- Antidepressant-like properties of three new α2-adrenoceptor antagonists
- Solvent effects on guanidinium-anion interactions and the problem of guanidinium Y-aromaticity