For Microsoft Windows desktops :
- An account on our systems: see here.
- You will need a username and password to access our systems.
- A Project Code :
- You will need to assign your analysis to a project code. Available here
- XMing : A X Windows Manager. Install X ming.
- XMing is required to display the GUI interface to Stata on your desktop.
- WinSCP : A FTP/SFTP client for Microsoft Windows. Using WinSCP.
- WinSCP is used to transfer your data/results files to and from your local computer to the cluster.
- Putty : An SSH client: see here.
- Putty is used to provide 'shell' access to Lonsdale. From here you can type commands.
Procedure for running Stata
- Install XMing, and ensure it is running.
- The taskbar on your desktop should display the "X" logo.
- Transfer the required data to Lonsdale using WinSCP
- The Stata program will require access to your data files and input.
- Download and run the Putty program.
- Log in using your username and password
- Request the use of 1 node in the application partition of the cluster, for 1 day, using the economics project.
- One node : "salloc -N 1"
- Compute partition : "salloc -N 1 -p compute"
- The 'application' reservation : "salloc -N 1 -p compute --reservation=application"
- One day : "salloc -N 1 -p compute --reservation -t 1:00:00"
- Your project : "salloc -N 1 -p compute --reservation=application -t 1:00:00 -U project_code"
- Connect to node that you have been allocated
- Type the command "ssh $SLURM_NODELIST"
- Load the required Stata module
- Type the command "module load apps stata/10"
- Run the Stata10 program
- Type the command "xstata-se"